French in your daily life

Take your French a step further.

For some administrative procedures, a simple understanding of the French language may not be enough. Several organisations can help you to improve your French level. Do not hesitate to contact them if you need.

Certificate to prove your level of French

For some administrative procedures (for example, an application for a C permit or the naturalisation procedure), the administration will ask to prove your level of French with a certificate.

The Swiss confederation encourages the fide test for one of the official Swiss languages (French, German, Italian). In canton Vaud, these tests can verify a person's level of the French language in terms of written and oral ability. Different organisations offer these language tests. For more information on these tests, go to the fide site. You will also find there a video explaining the fide tests.

Other language proficiency certificates are also recognised in Switzerland, for example, the diploma of French language studies (DELF). For this certificate, you must complete a written and oral French test. For more information on these French tests, visit the website of the Fondation Spirit Francophonie.

Written translations

If you need a translation of official documents (diplomas, birth or marriage certificates, work certificates etc.) and get certified translations, you have two possibilities:

Community interpreting

If you have a meeting for a medical, social or school consultation/interview and your level of French is not sufficient for you to understand everything, you can use the Service Intermedia de l'Association Appartenances. They have interpreters covering 60 languages and can provide help by being the connection between you and the doctor, social advisor or school services.

There is also a telephone interpretation national service available, contact 0842 442 442.

Was this information useful?

Help us improve this platform by sending us your comments and suggestions.